Dr. Bradford W. Sherwood told that, "even before the Civil War it was a favorite picnic place, always with a fiddler to lead the dancing, and so got its name."
Fiddlers Green is defined in the dictionary as "an imagined Elysian field for sailors and vagabond craftsmen, where one's credit is good and where always there is a lass, a glass and a song". It well lived up to the sailor's fantasy, people traveled from miles around to enjoy the pavilion and the refreshing view of the falls. Fiddlers Green was a favorite spot for picnics and summer social events of Jamesville residents, as well. Popularity of the picnic area was at its peak in 1916.
Robert Dunlop owned Fiddlers Green and it remained in the family until "Young Rob" Dunlop sold the resort to the Syracuse Suburban Railroad May 1, 1903, as the rail road acquired its right of way. The popular picnic spot was renamed Dunlop Park when stairs were made into the gorge. The name, Fiddlers Green, however, had so long been used that the tribute was soon forgotten.
© Fiddlers Green Park Association
FGPA, PO Box 712, Jamesville, NY 13078