A favorite summer resort was found near the roar of Dunlop falls in a level meadow on the east bank of Butternut Creek, just north of the bridge to Solvay Process. Cedars and tall trees provided abundant shade. (This should not be confused with the location of a village restaurant that once took the name.)
Dr. Bradford W. Sherwood told that, "even before the Civil War it was
a favorite picnic place, always with a fiddler to lead the dancing, and so got
Fiddlers Green is defined in the dictionary as "an imagined Elysian field for sailors and vagabond craftsmen, where one's credit is good and where always there is a lass, a glass and a song". It well lived up to the sailor's fantasy, people traveled from miles around to enjoy the pavilion and the refreshing view of the falls. Fiddlers Green was a favorite spot for picnics and summer social events of Jamesville residents, as well. Popularity of the picnic area was at its peak in 1916.
Robert Dunlop owned Fiddlers Green and it remained in the family until "Young Rob" Dunlop sold the resort to the Syracuse Suburban Railroad May 1, 1903, as the rail road acquired its right of way. The popular picnic spot was renamed Dunlop Park when stairs were made into the gorge. The name, Fiddlers Green, however, had so long been used that the tribute was soon forgotten.
Note: The original Fiddlers Green was just north of the current park (across the road to Jamesville Quarry).